Looking for easy access to your garden and lots of light streaming in from the outside? Choosing the right patio doors is an important decision to make. Whether you’ve decided to replace your patio door or opt for a completely new one, it can be tough knowing which style to go for.
Patio doors are available in many different styles, including bi-fold and sliding which are the two most popular options. So, how do you decide which is the best option for you? See below for more information on the two to help you make the right decision.
- Bi-folds offer the advantage of opening all the way or only opening one door for quick easy access.
- Bi-folds open by folding one over the other.
- A Huge benefit is the large space created when the doors are open, allowing an ‘open plan’ look for anyone wanting an
indoor-outdoor living environment.
- The more space-efficient option of the two
- They offer a contemporary style, suiting more modern homes.
- The downside to bi-fold doors in modern architectural design is their sightlines. When closed aluminium bi-fold doors have a thick vertical framing section. Meaning they don’t offer a view of the outside as wide as patio doors and they allow less light in.
- Patio doors slide open and closed.
- They offer a more multi-cultural look meaning they suit any home. They can be designed as modern as you like or can be done as traditional as you like.
- Patio doors are designed with full paned glass.
- When the doors are closed they offer a better view of the outside then bi-folds do also allowing more light in.
- Patio doors only offer one way to open them (sliding across) and only offer the same amount of access space.
- Ease of sliding open and shut.
- Offer more lights when closed as larger panes of glass are used.
Patio Doors vs Bi-folding Doors Security and Energy Efficiency
Ensuring your home has the most energy efficient doors and windows is a priority for any homeowner. Traditionally patio doors had been better at retaining heat and keeping the cold out. This is because historically glass isn’t great for insulation and bi-folding doors have larger glass sections than patio doors. However, bi-folding doors offer a tighter seal than patio doors. Overall with today’s modern technology it is now possible to invest in glass that has advance insulation technology meaning both doors are energy efficient.
The security levels of bi-folding doors and patio doors has improved massively over the years. As the technology and materials used for both doors has improved and are a lot more substantial then the traditional patio doors making them more burglar resistant. There are additional security measures you can take when installing your patio doors to make your home safer. This includes the installation of electronic locks and automated alarm systems and internal blinds which work well with both bi-folding and patio doors.
Patio Doors vs Bi-folding Doors cost
Cost is an important consideration that will help you decide which patio door to opt for. In the UK, the average starting price for basic patio doors is £1500+. When considering the price you would also need to take in to consideration the area of where you want the doors to go as there are numerous different styles of bi-folding doors. You would also need to consider the size, the product etc. These average prices are including labour and all the materials. For further information get in touch for a qoute!
Bi-folding doors vs Patio doors Design
Your design preference could be the main deciding factor between patio doors and bi-folding doors as they differ quite a bit in terms of their aesthetics. As mentioned before, bi-folding doors tend to have wider door frames, meaning that you get less natural light streaming into your home. T
Patio doors offer lots more natural light and a simple narrow frame for those who prefer a modern and functional design. The way that Bi-folding doors are designed means that you get a neater looking door as the doors simply tuck into each other which is also a great factor for those looking for a more space efficient option. There is also many different style of bi-folding doors from Continental, Durafold 1000, Emperor Concealed, Durafold Slimline, Continental PLUS and corner bi-folds so we would suggest researching the different styles to help you decide which would be best for you.
To summarise, are bi-folding doors or patio doors better?
The short answer is it really depends on your needs and preferences! It is clear that Bi-folding doors are the better option if you wish to bring the outside in and create a large amount of space. They also offer more space when opened and give the option of only opening one of the doors for easy access.
Both doors offer functionalities due to their space-efficiency and ease of use. The patio doors offers better views and ability to stream in a lot more light when closed. However, patio doors only allow a set of amount of space and only open one way. Patio doors give the option to suit a modern home or traditional home. Where as bi-folding doors are better suited to a modern home. Either way, hopefully, this article has helped you understand a little more about the pros and cons of both options so you can decide which is best for you.